Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Hug - Thom Gunn


It was your birthday, we had drunk and dined
_____Half of the night with our old friend
__________Who'd showed us in the end
_____To a bed I reached in one drunk stride.
__________Already I lay snug,
And drowsy with the wine dozed on one side.

I dozed, I slept. My sleep broke on a hug,
__________Suddenly, from behind,
In which the full lengths of our bodies pressed:
__________Your instep to my heel,
_____My shoulder-blades against your chest.
_____It was not sex, but I could feel
_____The whole strength of your body set,
_______________Or braced, to mine,
___________And locking me to you
_____As if we were still twenty-two
_____When our grand passion had not yet
___________Become familial.
_____My quick sleep had deleted all
_____Of intervening time and place.
___________I only knew
The stay of your secure firm dry embrace.


1 comment:

me said...

Αφού είναι θεός ο Thom!